Thursday, January 17, 2013

Shunji Matsuo@Somerset 313

Decided to get a haircut because I can't stand the length and heaviness of my hair. The last time I got a trim was in late October, it has been over 10 weeks. I wanted to keep the length of my hair but needed to trim the ends and tame the layers.

My sister has gotten her hair cut at Shunji Matsuo @ Somerset313 several times before, so I decided to check out the place. I booked an appointed with a Master Stylist (which is an intermediate between the Director and Junior Stylist). The hair stylist name was, Eddie. When I walked into the salon, they seated me right away and brought several magazines for me to read. Eddie was still working on another customer, even though I made an appointment. However, less than 3 minutes after being seated, Eddie came by to take a look of my hair and asked what I wanted to get done. I told him that I wanted a trim because my hair was getting messy. He asked about my curls and asked whether this was what I wanted. I answered that I liked the curled ends but not the top part, it was too puffy. He mentioned that it will be better to cut of 2 inches of my hair to make it neater. This is because my hairstyle had a V-shape before with the wispy layers, which tends to make the curls messy. He said evening out the layers by changing the shape of my hairstyle to a U-shape will be better. I agreed to his suggestion and let him do his magic.

My hair feels so much lighter and neater after the cut. His styling hands are magical! He blow dried my curls to look bouncy and flowly. I felt like a princess after he was finished with my hair. I wish he could do my hair everyday.





At the end of the styling process, he gave me several recommendations for my hair type (digitally permed/naturally wavy hair). Below are the recommendations:
  • Put wax on wet hair so that it will work more efficiently. When putting wax, extend hair horizontally ("pulling method") so that product is evenly distributed. 
  • Blow dry bangs in the opposite different of the parting so it will be straighter.
  • I wanted my bangs to be shorter but he said they were too curly so he kept the length. Plus, he said that with my forehead being rather broad, a longer side swept bangs will look more flattering. 
  • Twist hair inwards when blow drying. 
  • He mentioned that the top and inner part of my hair are too curly. He said for naturally wavy hair, it is difficult to maintain digitally permed hair, unlike those with straight hair. In my case,  the top part of my hair (which is very unruly) should have been smoothed out first. Because now, the top part of my hair is too curly, making it look messy.
  • He recommended that I smooth out the poofy area with a treatment called cosme creme. He said that it is a permanent hair re-texturizing treatment. It smooths out curls but still leaving its shape, thus my ends will still be curled. It ranges from $250-$300 for the cosme creme treatment.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service Eddie provided and his recommendations for my hair. I am seriously considering the cosme creme treatment done. For those of you in Singapore, I highly recommend Eddie at Shunji Matsuo. Priced at $48 for a haircut, his experience and understanding of his customer's preferences are priceless.

~AG~



1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I’m Gabrielle from Beauty Undercover, a website reviewing beauty salons in Singapore
    While searching online, we came across your blog commenting on Shunji Matsuo @ 313 Somerset.

    Would you mind if we publish an excerpt of your blog post and link to your page here:
    http://www.beautyundercover.sg/hair/shunji-matsuo-313-somerset/

    Your blog post would help others know more about an experience at the salon, make a better salon decision and at the same time, increase your blog traffic.

    Let us know and hope you have a great week ahead.

    You can reach me at admin@beautyundercover.sg

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Warm Regards
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete